Zagora desert tour from Marrakesh by private 4×4
User Review( votes)
Zagora desert covers a wide variety of landscapes: ergs, regs, wadis, djebels, hamadas, dayas oisis … and every landscape has a fascinating beauty, a place of peace, of vastness, of inspiration and poetry. Sitting on a dune and watch a beautiful sunset or sunrise, resting in the shade of an acacia tree or a palm tree, be under a starry sky moonlight or ride a camel is a real sense of happiness , relief and return to the simplicity of life. Therefor we provides a special tour to Zagora desert about 350 km from Marrakesh, in a small provincial town that marks the entrance into the Sahara. a few kilometers later, the first dunes give a taste of the Sahara and the austere landscapes out of the ordinary that insiders can only discover. In order not to lose sight of the traditions of yesteryear, camels and camel’s driver will go for a walk in the sand … first steps on the trail of blue men! Evening around the camp fire and night under the stars … guaranteed!
About Zagora desert tours
Our tours originates in Marrakesh and proceeds to Zagora desert, then south to Lihoudi Sand Dunes via Tizin’tichka Pass (2260m) which is in the heart of the Atlas Mountains. Keep your eyes open for the Berber villages tucked away in the mountainside and you will also see ksar Ait Ben Haddou, one of the world’s most magnificent Kasbahs in Morocco. These authentic Berber villages have considerable world heritage where many movies has been filmed such as Lawrence of Arabia, Hidalgo, The Black Stallion Returns, Babel, Cleopatra, etc. The trip continues to Ouarzazate, a fortified town created by the French in 1928 as a military outpost; there we will visit an outdoor movie studio, the Kasbah of Taourirte, the old Galoui Palace, the river through the Draa Valley with many Kasbahs, the long palm tree oasis which produces famous dates, the village of Agdz, and then Tamegroute, which is home to a famous Koranic library that contains many rare books and documents. In the library, you will see documents written on gazelle skin that date back to the 13th century. Also, to be seen are pottery artisans. Small villages can be seen near the mountains with their wall of earth at intervals along the route. Zagora desert are also known as « the doors of the Sahara” because they are the last towns before the Draa River get lost in the desert, the palm oases and the road all dissolve into nothing but sand and rocks as we drive through the sand dunes. South of Zagora, you can get a more intimate view of some sand dunes rising to heights of over 30m. You may also be surrounded here by gazelles, rabbits, squirrels and lizards then, the magnificent and extensive Sand Dunes where you will have the opportunity to camel trek and spend the night under the stars in quite romantic silence that will leave you enchanted by the spirit of the Sahara. Below you will discover some more information on our trips around this region. Video of Zagora
Itinerary Zagora desert tours
- Day 1 : Marrakech – Ait Ben Haddou – Ouarzazate – Agdez – Draa valley – Zagora
- Zagora desert tour starts at 7H00 from the Riad, Hotel or your accommodation, towards the Haut Atlas via the col of Tizi n'Tichka (at an altitude of 2260m) going through Ait Ben Haddou Kasbah via Telouet Kasbah ; visit of the fortified Kasbah (lunch on the spot). In the afternoon, road towards Ouarzazate to continue to Zagora by way of the Anti-Atlas, the Berber village of Agdez and the Draa Valley with its procession of palm trees. Arrival in Zagora, we change car by dromedaries to go to the bivouacs dressed near than sands dunes area, to admire the sunset and spend the night under tents . Dinner and night in bivouac .
- Day 2 : Zagora – Draa valley – Agdez – Ouarzazate – Tizi-N-Ticha - Marrakech
- Wake up early in the morning to be at the sunrise, coming back by dromedary to catch up the Car, then departure for Ouarzazate via the Draa Valley and Agdez (lunch on the way). If you have a time ,you can visit Kasbah taourirte and Film studio in Ouarzazate . A lot of stops are programed to pick pictures. Go back to Marrakech in the afternoon.
- Points of interest in Zagora desert tour :
- - Visits of Kasbahs - Nices views of the High Atlas Mountain - Sunset and sunrise in the desert - A night in the bivouac - The magic of the desert
- Transportation ( Comfortable Car )
- Driver guide
- 1 night under tent
- Dinner + Breakfast in Bivouac
- Dromedaries riding ( Camels riding)
- Lunches/ Drinks, extra
- Costs of Visits ( Kasbahs...)/ Guides/ Tips.
- Extras and tips